BRIEF HISTORY

 

Two meetings of interested men were held in April 1959 to discuss the possibility of forming a bowling club in Edithburgh. Their decision to form a club was put to a public meeting on the 8th June 1959, and approval was granted to erect the facility on parkland.

The initial finance was obtained through donations and repayable debentures. The organizing committee was installed as the foundation committee to form the club.

The leveling of the area for the green was completed in September 1960 and the couch grass was planted

The members first played at Yorketown on their black surface, while waiting for their own green to become availableTwo meetings of interested men were held in April 1959 to discuss the possibility of forming a bowling club in Edithburgh. Their decision to form a club was put to a public meeting on the 8th June 1959, and approval was granted to erect the facility on parkland.

.

The initial finance was obtained through donations and repayable debentures. The organizing committee was installed as the foundation committee to form the club.

The leveling of the area for the green was completed in September 1960 and the couch grass was planted

The members first played at Yorketown on their black surface, while waiting for their own green to become available.

The poles for lighting and the machinery shed were also put in place during 1960.

Committee meetings were first held in the lounge of the Troubridge Hotel up until 1962, when they were then held in the RSL hall.

The new clubhouse was opened on the 13th of October1962.

Lunches and meals on tournament days were held in the RSL clubrooms.

Our club badge emblem featuring the Troubridge Lighthouse was adopted in 1964.

The RSL hall was sold and the finance received was invested in the new club extentions in 1987. The foundations were laid in 1986 and the new building was opened on the 26th of September 1987.

The club then became registered as the Edithburgh RSL and Bowling Club Inc.

The second green was developed in 1995, and opened on the 17th of September of that year.

Our first pennant was won by our ladies in 1971-72, this was repeated in 1982-83, an effort not matched by our top division men until our half century in 2009-10.

The Edithburgh RSL and Bowling Club is a gender equal club.

Fees for the 2013-14 season are Full members $110

Social members $25

Thanks to Maurice Johnson.

Picture by Ann Harris.